Sort ByRelevance
  • Ingredients
  • Diets
  • Allergies
  • Nutrition
  • Techniques
  • Cuisines
  • Time

Moldy food: what can you cut and what can you throw away?

  1. While one fungus tastes good, the other is dangerous. It is therefore difficult to remember which moldy product to throw away or of which you can cut a piece.

What are fungi? Â

  1. Fungi are microorganisms that consist of threads. They look woolly and have a green, white or red color. Unseen, these microorganisms spread through your refrigerator or pantry Fungi can be very useful and tasty. Think of mushrooms, truffles and blue cheese, for example. Other fungi can produce toxins (mycotoxins), such as apples, celery, grape juice, certain herbs, nuts and grains. Eating these can lead to food poisoning. In some cases, these toxins may even be carcinogenic. Therefore, throw these moldy products away immediately.

What else should you throw away immediately?

  1. Leftovers such as pieces of meat, stews and stews, but also cooked rice or pasta. Bread, biscuits and cakes. You also do this with minimal mold, because it can spread quickly with dry, porous food. Vegetables and (soft) fruit with a high moisture content, such as cucumbers, peaches and tomatoes. The fungus can settle on the surface, making the whole product moldy. Cold cuts Most mold cheeses remain edible unless the mold is not part of the fermentation process. This is sometimes the case with brie and camembert. Soft cheeses, such as cream cheese and cottage cheese, as well as slices or grated cheese. Yogurt and sour cream Jams and compotes (apple sauce). The fungi produce the poisonous substance mycotoxins. Nuts, peanut butter or other nut butters, but also legumes. The risk of mold is high with foods made without preservatives.

For which products can you cut a piece?

  1. You can cut away small spots on vegetables and (hard) fruit with a relatively low moisture content. Think cabbage, carrot and paprika. You have to cut off round spots on oranges for example (2.5 centimeters). The mold in hard cheese only grows on the outside. By cutting the spot well away (2.5 centimeters) you can still eat the product well. Pack hard cheese properly, to (partially) stop bacterial growth. Blue cheese such as Roquefort, Gorgonzola and Stilton can be treated in the same way as hard cheese. Cut the moldy areas well away (2.5 centimeters). Mold is normally found on non-perishable products such as dried sausage or dried ham. You can cut or brush off the fungus in various places.

How do you prevent infection by fungi:

  1. Store fresh products such as meat and vegetables in the refrigerator. Keep fresh products such as herbs and bread in a dry place. Cover food in the refrigerator. Discard moldy products.

Donate - Crypto: 0x742DF91e06acb998e03F1313a692FFBA4638f407