Filter
Reset
Sort ByRelevance
vegetarianvegetarian
Reset
  • Ingredients
  • Diets
  • Allergies
  • Nutrition
  • Techniques
  • Cuisines
  • Time
Without


5 questions about ... multifocal contact lenses

  1. Over the age of 43, the lenses in the eye can no longer convex enough to focus close-up images. This is called presbyopia or presbyopia. Multifocal contact lenses can then offer a solution. HealthNet asked optometrist Pauline Schenk about the pros and cons. Do multifocal contact lenses really give you more viewing freedom?

  2. Over the age of 43, the lenses in the eye can no longer convex enough to focus images at close range. This is called presbyopia or presbyopia. Multifocal contact lenses can then offer a solution. HealthNet asked optometrist Pauline Schenk about the pros and cons. Do multifocal contact lenses really give more viewing freedom?

1. What exactly are multifocal contact lenses, how do they work?

  1. "Multifocal contact lenses are contact lenses that are suitable for people who need a separate reading power in addition to their enhanced power. This applies to almost all spectacle and lens wearers from about 43 years old. Multifocal contact lenses are made in such a way that that combine both powers in one lens, so you can see sharply both far and close. "

  2. "Multifocal contact lenses are contact lenses that are suitable for people who need a separate reading power in addition to their enhanced power. This applies to almost all spectacle and lens wearers from about 43 years of age. that combine both powers in one lens, so that you can see sharply both far and close. "

2. What types are there? And what is the difference with, for example, monovision or bifocal lenses?

  1. "There are hard bifocal lenses, which resemble bifocal lenses, so the magnification passes downwards into the reading power. The bottom is slightly weighted, so that the reading part remains at the bottom. you automatically look down a bit, the lens shifts slightly upwards and you look through the reading part. Bifocal lenses are only available in hard lenses and do not have a gradual transition from amplified to close, but really a reading part, just like with bifocal glasses ( with visible reading areas). Sometimes people are afraid that a multifocal lens will 'spin' in the eye, causing the reading part to be wrong, but that is not necessary. A hard lens can sometimes turn slightly, but it sinks back into place due to the weighting at the bottom and with a soft lens you don't notice the rotation at all. Different techniques are used for soft and hard multifocal lenses. That is where the reading parts are all around. The reading strengths are cut into a kind of invisible rings, so you look through both strengths at the same time. The brain then automatically filters out the sharpest image. The advantage is that you can also read with it overhead, unlike glasses and bifocal contact lenses, because the reading area is all around. A With monovision, one eye is corrected for the distance and one eye for near. Here, too, the brain automatically uses the eye that has the sharpest image. "

  2. "There are hard bifocal lenses, which resemble bifocal lenses, so the magnification passes downwards into the reading power. The bottom is slightly weighted, so that the reading part remains at the bottom. you automatically look down a bit, the lens shifts slightly upwards and you look through the reading part. Bifocal lenses are only available in hard lenses and do not have a gradual transition from amplified to close, but really a reading part, just like with bifocal glasses ( with visible reading areas). Sometimes people are afraid that a progressive lens will 'spin' in the eye, causing the reading part to be wrong, but that is not necessary. A hard lens can sometimes turn slightly, but it sinks back into place due to the weighting at the bottom and with a soft lens you don't notice the rotation at all. Different techniques are used for soft and hard multifocal lenses. That is where the reading parts are all around. The reading strengths are cut into a kind of invisible rings, so you look through both strengths at the same time. The brain then automatically filters out the sharpest image. The advantage is that you can also read with it overhead, unlike glasses and bifocal contact lenses, because the reading area is all around. A With monovision, one eye is corrected for the distance and one eye for near. Here, too, the brain automatically uses the eye that has the sharpest image. "

3. What are the advantages and disadvantages compared to progressive glasses or reading glasses?

  1. "The advantages of multifocal contact lenses, as with all contact lenses, are the fact that no glasses are needed to see clearly. People who do not like to wear glasses can with these lenses, you can continue to wear contact lenses after their 43rd birthday. Some people do have to get used to it. With all types of multifocal lenses, it can take a while for the brain to make the right choice between the sharp images and to get used to it. Also sometimes it is not possible to get visual acuity as well as with glasses, for example for reading. Then you can easily read the price tags in the supermarket, the text messages on your mobile phone or the date on your watch, but for a long reading of a book, you can still grab reading glasses for optimal vision. In general, multifocal lenses are sufficient for 80 percent or more of the time. For the remaining 20 percent of the day, simple reading glasses of +1.50 is sufficient. This differs greatly from person to person and is difficult to predict in advance. For people who have never worn hard lenses before, the feeling of the lens on the eye can often be very uncomfortable at first. But this also differs per person. "

  2. "The advantages of multifocal contact lenses, as with all contact lenses, are the fact that no glasses are needed to see clearly. with these lenses, you can continue to wear contact lenses after their 43rd birthday. Some people do have to get used to it. With all types of multifocal lenses, it can take a while for the brain to make the right choice between the sharp images and to get used to it. Also, sometimes it is not possible to get visual acuity as well as with glasses, for example for reading. Then you can easily read the price tags in the supermarket, the text messages on your mobile phone or the date on your watch, but for a long reading of a book, you can still grab reading glasses for optimal vision. In general, multifocal lenses are sufficient for 80 percent or more of the time. For the remaining 20 percent of the day, simple reading glasses of +1.50 is sufficient. This differs greatly from person to person and is difficult to predict in advance. For people who have never worn hard lenses before, the feeling of the lens on the eye can often be very uncomfortable at first. But this also differs per person. "

4. Can anyone wear multifocal contact lenses? Is it possible with any strength?

  1. "Nowadays there are many lens materials, possibilities and designs of multifocal lenses, in almost all strengths, for example also with cylinders, so it is almost always possible."

  2. "Nowadays there are many lens materials, possibilities and designs of multifocal lenses, in almost all strengths, for example with cylinders, so it is almost always possible."

5. You sometimes hear people get dizzy from multifocal lenses. Is this the only complaint and what can be done about it?

  1. "This has to do with getting used to seeing multiple images at the same time. The brain has to get used to processing these images. Dizziness does occur sometimes. How long it takes varies a lot. say from not at all to a few hours to a few weeks. It is in any case important to report these complaints and have the eyes and lenses checked regularly. It is often a matter of trying out what works best. something adapted here, the contact lens specialist can advise you. "



Donate - BNB: bnb16ghhqcjctncdczjpawnl36jduaddx5l4eysm5c