Sort ByRelevance
  • Ingredients
  • Diets
  • Allergies
  • Nutrition
  • Techniques
  • Cuisines
  • Time

Painter's Disease

  1. Paint fumes are more dangerous than people think. It is therefore understandable that since the year 2000 painters are only allowed to work with low-VOC paints. The painter's disease should not be underestimated.


  1. Paint contains solvents, which ensure that the paint does not harden in the pot and therefore remains liquid. Without these solvents, the paint is of no use at all. So it has to be there. Even water-dilutable paint contains solvents, although to a much lesser extent. The solvents are called volatile organic compounds, VOCs for short.

Painter's disease

  1. In the past, the painter's disease was quite common among painters. Significantly less since 2000, because painters are only allowed to work with low-VOC paint. So no longer with paint that contains a lot of VOCs.


  1. The clinical picture in painter's disease is generally nausea, dizziness, headache and often palpitations. Anyone who stops working with these toxic fumes will soon notice that the complaints disappear again. These first complaints are therefore a warning. However, those who continue to work with these toxic fumes will have deeper problems.


  1. Treatment for the painter's disease consists of symptom relief, not cure. What is damaged in the brain cannot be repaired or reversed. Even years after working with toxic fumes has stopped, the complaints will remain. However, it is possible with certain medicines to ensure that the complaints can be lived with.


  1. Work with low-VOC substances as much as possible. Provide protective clothing. A dust cap only stops dust and no toxic fumes. Therefore, make sure you have a good face mask with a vapor filter. These are much more expensive but very efficient. In particular, ensure adequate ventilation.

Donate - Crypto: 0x742DF91e06acb998e03F1313a692FFBA4638f407